Can I Work While Studying in Canada?

Can I Change Schools or Programs While on a Study Permit?

With a Canadian study permit, you can change your school or program at any time. To do so, you will want to make sure you are following the right procedure and staying within the conditions of your study permit.

Here are the exact steps you need to follow to change your school or program through the online portal:

  1. Sign in to your account.
  2. Find the section called Designated Learning Institution student transfer
  3. Click transfer from DLI number
  4. Enter your study permit application number in the search field and then click search for my application
  5. You may be prompted to enter more details from your original study permit application, so it’s important to have this handy.
  6. Enter the information about your new program or school, including the new DLI number, your new student ID number, and your start date.
  7. Click submit transfer
  8. You will then be asked to review all the information you have submitted. If everything looks good, you can complete the process by clicking confirm transfer
  9. You will receive a notification that your request is complete. This confirms that you have successfully informed the government of your change in plans.

Can I Work While Studying in Canada?

Yes! Another perk to studying in Canada is that international students have the right to work. This helps offset the cost of tuition and living expenses.

International students in Canada can work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during school terms. During scheduled breaks like summer vacation, international students may work full-time.

Most students don’t need a work permit to work while they study, whether their job is on campus or off campus. Your study permit will state whether you’re allowed to work off campus.

If your program of study includes work experience, you may be able to work more than 20 hours during the semester. This will be indicated in your letter of acceptance. If the government approves this condition, you will be granted both a work permit and a study permit. This work permit will allow you to work on campus only.

Can I Bring My Family With Me While I Study?

International students who are married or have kids may wish to bring their family with them.

Canadian visa officers will consider study permit applications which include accompanying family members. You should note that including family members on a study permit application may influence the visa officer’s decision.

If you are approved as a family, your spouse will be able to work full time while in Canada. Any accompanying children will be able to study for free.

You can learn more about applying for a study permit with your family here.

Can My Spouse Work While I am Studying in Canada?

If your family does accompany you, your spouse will be eligible for an open work permit, authorizing them to work full-time in Canada while you are studying.

Can I Study in Quebec?

Studying in Quebec gives you the option to study in English, French, or both. However, Quebec student visa requirements are a little different from the rest of Canada.

What Are the Requirements to Study in Quebec?

In order to study in Quebec, you will need a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ). This document is issued by the Ministry of Immigration, Francisation and Integration (MIFI) . It confirms that Quebec has accepted you as an international student. You need a CAQ before you can apply for a study permit if your program of study is in Québec.

To be eligible to apply for a CAQ, you need to meet the following requirements.

  • Be accepted into a Québec designated learning institution
  • Pay the fees associated with a CAQ application
  • Agree to comply with the conditions for issuing a CAQ for studies

You do not need a CAQ or a study permit if you intend to study a program that is less than 6 months in duration.

Once you have a CAQ, you have to apply for a study permit from the Government of Canada. When you receive your study permit, you’re ready to start studying in Canada!